Saint Maria Goretti
Feastday July 6
Maria Goretti was born on October 16, 1890 in Corinaldo, Italy
Along with their six children,
Lured by the passions of his day and nurturing
On one fateful afternoon of July 6th,1902
She struggled and tried to call for help.
When Maria said that she would rather died than submit,
As she lay in the hospital, dying of her wounds,
Her last earthly gaze rested upon a picture of the Blessed Mother.
Alexander was captured and sentenced to thirty years in prison.
Maria was there and gave him flowers.
When he woke, he was a changed man, repenting of his crime
After serving his sentence, Alessandro took up residence
"If my daughter can forgive him,
Through Maria's intercession, her murderer converted
Devotion to the young martyr grew, miracles were worked,
Three years later, at her canonization, a 66-year-old
The bones of Saint Maria Goretti are held within a chest placed in the wax replica of her body - displayed within a glass reliquary in the Church of Our Lady of Mercy in Nettuno, Italy.
Maria Goretti died a martyr before her twelfth birthday.
Oh Saint Maria Goretti who, strengthened by God's grace,
Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory be to the Father, etc...
TO SAFEGUARD YOUR PURITY
1. Receive Holy Communion often with great devotion and reverence.
2. Go to Confession regularly, at least once a month but if possible every two weeks or even weekly.
3. Have a special devotion to the Blessed Virgin, Mary Immaculate. Say your three Hail Mary's morning and night. In temptation, call earnestly on Our Divine Lord, Our Blessed Lady and St. Joseph. Imitate Our Lady's modesty in dress, speech and behaviour.
4. Avoid people whose conduct offends purity and whose conversation is impure (off-colour stories, double-meaning jokes, etc.). Avoid suggestive comics, magazines, books and especially avoid bad television, films and videos.
5. Much modern pop music is designed to demoralise by rousing the passions through its beat and suggestive words. Avoid this along with all improper dancing.
6. Always remember that intemperate use of alcohol, and of course drugs, is certainly a near occasion of sins of impurity.
7. Develop various interests for your spare time, such as ... good reading, art, painting, learn a musical instrument, a useful hobby, gardening, etc.
8. Pray to the Patrons of Purity - Saint Joseph, Saint Dominic Savio, Saint Maria Goretti, your Guardian Angel and others.
Jesus, Lover of chastity, Mary, Mother most pure,
Obtain for me, then, a deep sense of modesty
And when the "Bread of Angels becomes the Bread of me"
Heart of Jesus, Fount of all purity, have mercy on us!